Thursday, March 3, 2011

They're Organizing....

Yesterday was the day I have feared since the twins were babies. For starters the twins learned that one can create a distraction while the other gets into something they shouldn't. The really horrible part was, as it appeared to me, Beck was the mastermind behind it all.

Yesterday started with Randy being home in the morning. He had to work in the afternoon and had meetings that ran late last night. I love my husband, but Monday thru Friday I have a very specific routine. Every morning goes like this: Wake the children, make the childrens beds, clean the children, feed the children, clean the children again, clean up the mess from the childrens breakfast, then we work on colors, shapes, alphabet and numbers for 45 minutes, the children play with toys, the children eat again, I clean the children again, then they watch Spongebob for 30 minutes and then the twins take their naps. They love their routine when done correctly, but Daddy was home. This ment rough housing and playtime was done at different times that Mommy liked and it created very hyper children. No one wanted to go through their shapes, colors etc. All the boys were running through the house destroying everything in sight.

I spent most of my day chasing three tornadoes around cleaning up the wreckage. It started when they emptied all their toy boxes, opened up all the toys stored in totes, and dumped all the legos everywhere. As I tried to pick up a small area to walk, they emptied the linen closet and it got worse from there. I will give the highlights of each child.

Trey took the tote for his legos and used it to get into the silverware drawer. He then proceded to dip all the silverware in the butter dish and place them back in the silverware drawer. 

Tate got the graham cracker fish down and thought it would be fun to suck on the fish, take them back out of his mouth and then smear them all over whatever was near him, couches, walls, carpet etc.

Beck found some green food coloring and emptied it in the toilet. I was a little nervous at first thinking his pee was green, but I was relieved to find the empty vial of food coloring behind the toilet. And my surprise this morning was to find that he had put some of the food coloring in my water squirt bottle. So when I sprayed Tate's hair this morning it gave him a nice greenish glow. But Beck's true highlight from the day was realizing that if he throws his sippy cup really hard on the ground the white stopper comes off the lid and the juice just flows freely. And what better way to use the juice than to sprinkle it all over the carpet. Because according to Beck "the purple makes the carpet look pretty"

Other highlights from the day that I don't know who to give credit to were: taking all the papers off the fridge and throwing them everywhere, destroying most of my magnets in ways I didn't know were possible, finding their Christmas candy and scattering it everywhere, unrolling the brand new roll of toilet paper all over the floor in the bathroom and somehow getting it all wet, and shoving grapes (which I'm not sure how they got those) down the ball shoot in one of their toys.

No one was injured in this pilage of my home, so I guess that was a triumph. Plus the boys all had a lot of fun with eachother. Usually there is fighting and crying over every little toy, but they worked together to create one mess of a mom. The more destruction they created the more fun they had together. Beck was there cheering them on and whispering ideas in their ears. The twins loved the attention and praise they were receiving from Beck and so it continued until I finally got them to sleep. Also, I should note that this whole time they thought they were fighting off aliens, pirates, monsters and other things I can't remember now. All of the destruction fit into their story line somehow.

Most days don't flow this way and the damage isn't always so severe. By the time Randy came home I had cleaned the carpets, swept, mopped picked up all the toys, and put the kids to bed. I sometimes wonder if he thinks I just make up these stories about kids. But I am here to say all of these events, sadly, are true.

4 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS!!! i just have to say.. i'm sorry. but go you for keeping your composure and getting your little boys to bed and your house cleaned again.. i think i would have locked myself in my room or something! and i totally hear ya! i as well have a routine and when my husband is home unexpected it throws everything off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I'm just waiting for that day--okay, I'm dreading it just like you have been. I know it's going to happen! I'm sure this will only be the start of many crazy adventures for you. And good for you for starting a blog. It's something I want to do as well at some point, but will most likely need to wait until after I stop working full-time. Hang in there! Hope you are doing well otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was exhausted half way through reading this post haha. Well then its safe for me to say that my days are easy as pie compared to yours. Good job momma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, I didn't know you were working full time! You are amazing! I attempt to work part time and even then it's a huge struggle. Where are you working at?

    ReplyDelete