Thursday, March 10, 2011

Monsters and Pee All Over

My darling son Beck has a very real fear of monsters. He believes them to be everywhere once it is dark. He loves the movie Monsters Inc, but I think part of his fear stems from this movie. He is constantly worried that a monster is going to come through his closet and take him away. He is always telling me he is scared that someone will take him away from me forever. I also think that my spending nine weeks in the hospital, while I was pregnant with the twins, doesn't help this fear. I did leave and didn't come back for a long long time.

With this fear of monsters Beck had been coming to sleep with us A LOT! At first I felt bad for him, because he was so scared. Then he started acting like he was just automatically going to sleep in our room and for mommy to be saine everyday I need to get sleep. I don't get sleep with Beck in the bed.

We got a nightlight, I tried to dispel his fears of monsters and told him he had to sleep in his bed again. The first night went OK. He got out of bed about 20 times to ask me something, or tell me something, but finally ended up in his bed.

The second night he came in around 3am because he had wet his bed. I cleaned him off, threw his sheets in the laundry and let him climb into bed with us. It was a little odd, because he had never wet the bed. Since the day he decided he wanted to potty train he has never had an accident.

The third night he again comes in at a horrid hour because he had wet the bed. I go into his room to get his sheets and his blankets were all folded over the foot rail of his bed and all this stuffed animals were carefully set on the floor, as if he had planned this bed wetting. I ask him why he wet the bed. He replied "So I can sleep with you" I was a little suspicious the first time it happened and now my suspicions were confirmed. He still got to sleep in our bed that night and yes I realize how counter productive this was. I don't function well at 3-4am, so there was no way I was going to sanitize a bed for him to go back to sleep in.

Now the fourth night, before bed, Randy and I explained to Beck that he cannot sleep in our bed anymore. He looks me square in the eye and says "Then I'll just pee all over." So I stared right back at him and said "Fine. You now have to wear a diaper to bed." He looked at me dumbfounded. He did not expect that move.

Sure enough I strapped a diaper to his bum and sent him to bed. He woke up dry and in his own bed. This was several nights ago and he hasn't had a problem wetting the bed since. But the monster problem is still very much there.

I have heard many people say they spray the monsters to kill them before bed. I tried this. I dug out an old spray bottle, filled it with a little water and he went to town killing monsters. But he thinks he should coat everything in water. I do not like this. I have woken up at midnight to find him filling this water bottle to kill more monsters. This shooting of the monsters is clearly not working. It has turned into a fun way to stay up late and ruin his furniture.

I'm out of ideas and sick of fighting to get him to go to bed for hours on end as I try to convince him there are no monsters. If anyone has any great "get rid of monsters" cures please share!!

3 comments:

  1. lol, my kid's are the same way. (inparticular my son) i mean when he was 3 i was watching the show goosebumps, and when he went to church he would get terrified of this one man "he was a scary man" and in our new place, he thinks there is something in his closet that is going to get him as well. i just make sure that the door is closed and he is ok sometimes. for both my kids, i have my baby blanket and and a bear that i was never without as a child. my son has my blanket and i tell him that is will protect him and make anything bad go away. same with the bear, if he gets scared, just squeeze the bear and it will make it go away. he also listens to primary music for bed. maybe you could try something like that. little kid's can be so hard when they get something stuck in their head. sorry so long too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany I will try music, maybe that will help calm him. He has a bunch of stuffed animals, but maybe I'll have to try and tell him his bear is extra special. I will try anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope it works for you!! my kid's have a TON of stuffed animals too, but it's something about it being mine and i used it when i was little. whatever it is.. it gets me a peaceful night of sleep. lol.

    ReplyDelete