Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Dentist

Today I took all three boys to the dentist. Beck has been before and does very well. The twins however, were on their first trip. They don't do well at the doctor, so I was nervous how they would react. I searched high and low to find this pediatric dentist and he is AWESOME!!

About a year and a half ago I took Beck to the dentist because I noticed one of his front teeth was turning brown. I always saw a commercials on cable for a pediatric dentist in Orem named Dr Howell. I took Beck in and he told me that both of his front teeth needed to be extracted and it would have to be done at the Timpanogos Hospital. He also had 4 cavities, one in each of his newest molars. He basically told me Beck's mouth was going to rot out unless we pulled those teeth out immediately and I scheduled a surgery for a week later. I left his office crying. Beck doesn't drink soda unless he sneaks someones leftover Coke at Grandma Coy's house. He takes fluoride tablets daily, brushes his teeth and his sugar is limited. Not to mention he had just turned two and he had only had his molars for a couple months.

I started asking around to find another dentist to get a second opinion before Dr Howell took my two year old's teeth. I heard time and time again about Timpanogos Pediatric Dentistry. We went there, I told them nothing of his previous appointment. I was told the reason his tooth was browning was due to a blood vessel that burst. It was caused by some sort of impact to his mouth. The tooth was not dead. He did not need surgery and he had no cavities! There is a possibility the tooth could die at some point, but this new dentist said we would know. He would be in a lot of pain.

Needless to say we have been going there every since. They have a great office and it is super hero themed which is great for my boys. They also leave with a goodie bag that has a small toy and toy story stickers along with a toothbrush, toothpaste and a Buzz Lightyear flosser.

The twins did OK. About as good as you could expect. Other than the fact they ran around like crazy while I was filling out the 8 pages of paper work for their first visit. So we got to see every room in their office pretty extensively. Once Tate realized that the dentist was "counting his teeth" as we call it and not injecting him with something horrible he was fine. Trey was a little less fine, but no major meltdown... until we tried to leave that is. I had to carry out both twins screaming and crying under my arms like barrels while Beck opened doors for me. All the legos and superhero toys were too much to leave behind.

I thought, as I drove to the dentist, that I should take pictures to commemorate this occasion, but I never got a chance to take my phone out of my pocket, let alone my camera from my purse. I was either chasing a twin or holding one down.

The end result: No cavities for all = a good visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment