Thursday, May 5, 2011

If you didn't love the IRS already...

I'm having a hard time finding motivation to work today, because today I am supposed to be filling out rediculous forms for the IRS and sending them letters showing their errors. One of the companies I do bookkeeping for underwent a name change. We closed the old corporation and opened under a new one. This happened in September of 2009.

For the last six months I have been receiving letter after letter from the IRS stating I have not filed my quarterly paperwork on time for the corporation that closed. I have sent them copies of the original forms I have already sent showing the corporation closed on such and such date in September. I have called them countless times explaining to them it is closed only to be told to fill out a form or write a letter, all of which I have done.

Today I decided to try calling them once more. I used the number on the form under Additional Information. Next to the phone number it says "If you need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us." I call the phone number. After going through a mind numbing amount of automated messages, pushing the number 3 in about seven different menus and sitting on hold for 36 minutes I was connected to an actual person. I explained once again what was happening.  She then informed me she was not able to help me with my problem at this number. Before I could get a word in she transferred me back to the main menu.

I started the whole process over. I went through all the menus, sat on hold, it started to ring and instantly I was back at the main menu. I never heard a humans voice just the automated message again welcoming me to the Internal Revenue Service.

By this point I am loosing my mind. I have dedicated over an hour to this en devour. I hang up. Dial again. I do all the previously listed steps and again I am transferred right back to the main menu. 

So after almost two solid hours trying to contact the IRS I am officially throwing in the towel for the sake of my sanity. The forms are going to the bottom of my stack of papers labeled "To Do" so they can be dug up on a later date.

1 comment:

  1. ugh!! i feel your pain! i hate hate hate automated systems!! i did that one day (not the IRS) but for like 2 or 3 hrs same thing over and over to the same menu, i don't think any "live" person actually worked there, not to mention my attitude the rest of the day was horrible! i'm sorry and hope you can get thru to them somehow.

    ReplyDelete